Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why is Black skin more prone to keloids?

Is it safe for a Black person to have plastic surgery?

Why is Black skin more prone to keloids?
Hello,


I am a black woman and very prone to keloids. I think that certain ethnic groups are more prone than others: Blacks, Hispanics and other groups with darker skin tone seem to be more susceptible than others. I personally treat every new cut or scar immediately with antibiotic ointments and when the wound heals, I use a cortisone ointment (prescribed by my doctor). It seems to help prevent the extra scar tissue from forming. After that I use a prescribed skin bleaching cream on the area to fade the dark pigmentation of the healed scar. That being said, I am sure it is safe for a black person to have plastic surgery (my sister had a breast reduction), but if that person is prone to keloids my advice would be to consult a plastic surgeon; he can best assess if the surgery needed could possibly create disgraceful keloids. I hope this helps.